Winter Break Survival for Parents
Kids are jumping for joy as winter break inches closer. Time off of school means kids often fall off of routine and dive into more screen time. As parents are busy preparing for the holidays here are a few ideas to help keep kids active and away from video games, TV and phones.
1. Keep kids on a daily routine. Just like on a school day kids have things to do throughout the day and should continue this routine while on break.
2. Plan a fun outing with friends to get the kids outdoors. Take a nature walk, go sledding or enjoying some time ice skating.
3. Thank you Notes. Gone are the days of pen and paper correspondence. Encourage the kids to write thank you notes for gifts they received form family and friends.
4. Bake some tasty treats for your local fire or place department. Our first responders do so much for the community and kids will enjoy knowing they did something nice for these local heroes.
5. Print out the lyrics to your favorite holiday carols and have the kids perform their favorite classics at a family gathering.
Don’t let your holiday season go by without a plan. Have fun, stay active and limit screen time.
Lisa A. DeCamella
Personal Trainer & Fitness Nutrition Specialist