Online Remote Aftercare Services
Ensuring the Changes Stick Via Skype
Our aftercare program helps ensure skills and habits learned at camp stick when a camper returns home. Each camper at Summerland receives 90-days of aftercare services which is included in the tuition for any session length. If you choose to continue aftercare past the 90-days, the rate is $495 per month.
Your child will work with the same staff they built a relationship with at camp when they return home, and they will have access to their fellow campers for continued support and encouragement. The aftercare website gives campers access to resources for continued support and access to a larger community of like-minded individuals post-camp who are also struggling with technology overuse habits. Best of all, for 90-days it’s included in the tuition cost.
Research shows that aftercare contributes to positive outcomes. In one study on the effectiveness of aftercare services, researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the Betty Ford Foundation looked at all professional continuing care services and the effect on substance abuse treatment. All forms of aftercare were significantly associated with abstinence over and above individual factors ranging from 1.3 to 3.2 times greater outcomes.
A Summerland Coach will check in with your child on a weekly basis for completion of aftercare services. We see the transition home as a key component to your child’s success. Knowing that a role model from camp will be checking in weekly to ensure self-regulation skills transfer home can be a key motivator for your child’s technology habits to change.
Coaches check in with your child on a weekly basis using Google Hangouts or Skype. We continue to follow our scientifically based curriculum working on desired screen based habits, as well as academic, health, and social goals as appropriate. Our coaches will support, encourage, and problem solve with your camper at home as a continuation of the camp behavior change process.
Online Support Community
Summerland Campers continue to support and encourage each other after the camp experience. Though a relationship with Game Quitters, Summerland Campers will be part of an online community forum which offers support, guidance, and practical information on quitting excessive gaming and other technology overuse habits once and for all. Summerland Campers that complete any session length will automatically be enrolled in the “ReSpawn” program that includes:
- Access to a private community (Summerland Campers have their own private community forum, and can also access the broader general community).
- 10 video lessons (MP4), 1 hour and 47 minutes total length
- Audio files (MP3) & Transcripts (PDF)
- Fourth edition ebook (76 page PDF)
- Respawn Workbook (PDF)
- Priority email support
- 10 expert interviews (MP3)
Additional aftercare components may include (differs for each camper’s needs):
- Weekly Skype, Google Hangouts, or Facetime call to check in.
- Review and discussion of the Behavioral Planning Journal.
- Overview and discussion of planned activities for the next week.
- Planning session regarding stated goals and what behaviors need to be completed to meet desired goals.
- Troubleshooting when problems arise or when the camper falls off track.
- Monitoring of integrated components into the Behavioral Planning Journal such as activity tracking by Fitbit, Garman, Withings, Moov, and so on.
- Strategy development and troubleshooting on any issues related to behavioral improvement and general well-being.
- Providing positive encouragement and reinforcement when things are going well.
At the end of camp, it’s not just, “goodbye and good luck.” We might part by saying, “You did great at camp. Let’s check in Monday morning on how the weekend went, and then every Saturday until when I see you next year!” For programs that seek to change habits, checking in with participants on a regular basis is critical.
The act of checking in and reporting weekly behavior carries substantial influence on a child’s likelihood to continue the changes they planned at camp back home. Aftercare is done with the same staff campers interacted with at camp. Most campers want to be successful, and they don’t want to let their Coach down. Because Coaches also check in with parents, you can be sure we are getting the most accurate information about your camper.
As part of the aftercare process, coaching staff will check with parents monthly. This is a good time to troubleshoot any current issues including the Behavioral Contract. The Behavioral Contract is also covered during the Family Workshop.